Everything in Anytype is an object: people, books, musicians, documents, ideas, places, numbers or files. For instance, a person named Enda, an essay to write, the music of Pink Floyd, the film 2001, a town named Berlin, a year, or just a simple status like Done.
Every object has a flexible canvas made of simple blocks. Each block is a piece of information which you can freely move around the canvas. You can add any information you like by hitting the + button or in-line by typing /. Highlight a block to see its size or move it elsewhere on the canvas. To create a column, simply drag one block to the end of another block.
The following blocks are available in this version of Anytype:
- Text: text, title, heading, subheading, highlighted
- Lists: checkbox, bulleted list, numbered, toggle
- Media: file, picture, video, bookmark, code-snippet
- Objects: create new objects (tasks, people, documents), or link to an existing object
- Relations: all relations for this object
- Others: line divider, dotted divider
Layouts help you customise how your object looks. You can align your text blocks, customise the icon type, or change the page width.
Anytype currently supports three kinds of layout:
- Basic: a classic view for notes, articles, and docs.
- Profile: designed for contacts, people, and organisations.
- Action: for getting things done. Perfect for tasks and plans.
We designed layouts to be extendable. In the future anyone can make new layouts. Both the basic and profile layout support either an emoji or a photo icon. All layouts support a cover image.